Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 21:26:43 -0700

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:23:43PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Take a look at the \tempo command.  Everybody and their dog tells me
> > that this is just what a musician wants in syntax.  Whenever I do
> > significant work on the parser, \tempo pitches in with a few dozen
> > reduce/reduce errors and takes an hour of extra time.
>
> I would argue that this is an indication that the \tempo syntax is a
> mistake. If making backward incompatible changes is allowed, I would
> suggest to reconsider and scrap the onerous parts of its syntax.

Of course backwards incompatible changes are allowed until GLISS
has stabilized a particular bit of language.

But in the case of \tempo, I would hope that adding explicit
delimiters to the parameters could clear it up.  I think we should
require explicit delimiters around the argument list for any
function which has an optional arguments.