Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"

From: James
Subject: Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 13:56:24 +0100

Hello,

On 23 September 2012 04:29, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jay Anderson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Graham Percival
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I have no problem with splitting \tempo into a \tempo_bpm and
>>> \tempoMark command.  Or perhaps it would be better to just use
>>> \mark, and add markup functions which mimic the "text" parts of
>>> the existing \tempo command (if they don't already exist, which
>>> they probably do).
>>
>> Please keep \mark and \tempo separate. They serve different purposes,
>
> Only to some degree.
>
>> align differently with the music, and it's a pain to put multiple
>> marks in one place.
>
> I doubt that the ultimate solution to the problem "\mark is far too
> limited and restricted" is "let's add another far too limited and
> restricted command".
>
>> - \tempoText "Allegro"
>> - \tempoBpm 4=100
>> - \tempoTextBpm "Allegro" 4=100
>> - \tempoEquation 4=2 %%% print quarter note = half note
>> - \tempoTextEquation "Lo stesso tempo" 4=2
>>
>> Even easier: \tempoBpm can take a string instead (e.g. \tempoBpm
>> "4=100") which it internally parses and throws an error if it doesn't
>> like what it sees. At that point it could be 100% scheme instead of at
>> the parser level. The possible downside is we'd have a mini language
>> for this function, but I don't think that's too bad.
>
> I don't really like the artificiality of additional string parsers.  It
> divides LilyPond into areas with supported and those with unsupported
> syntax.  For me, it makes far more sense to only work with consistent
> supported syntax, and make sure that this is expressive enough not to be
> an onerous restriction.

Coming at this from a different angle, for \header blocks I often use
multiple 'variables' to get my fonts and sizes just right

title = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "Palatino") \abs-fontsize
#24 "This is My Tune" }

couldn't we do something similar with \tempo in that we simply
('simply'!) have a 'top level' \tempo command and then whatever we
need to specify if it needs a markup and/or a timing?

\tempo { \markup { some value } \bpm {another value} \metronome_mark
{yet another value} }

or something like that ...

Sorry if I have missed a point.

james