Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: [GLISS] non-timed or non-musical events "z" "y"
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:19:15 +0200

On 23/09/12 15:58, David Kastrup wrote:
With the separately discussed "isolated durations are pitch-less
NoteEvent in noteentry", you could use arguments like
and such music arguments would get passed through a \score markup using
a specific TempoStaff without stafflines and with nice dimensions, also
allowing for specs like
\tempo \times 2/3 { 4 8 } = 64

Just to be clear I understand, this last example means "triplet quarter + eighth = 64", and would be equivalent to regular quarter = 64, correct?

It looks quite an elegant formulation as (again, if I understand correctly) it allows an arbitrary combination of durations (tied and non-tied) to be used as the beat length. I can also see other applications in other contexts for a pitchless NoteEvent.

Basically, I think with this single post you've removed all my concerns about the \tempo command and its future. :-)