Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 15:35:53 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:24 PM

Mhmm.  May I recommend a sheet of paper and a pencil instead,
then? :-)

Perhaps you'd prefer to recommend Sibelius, which has no such difficulties...

> Users are ready to accept change, it seems that many developers are
> not or are too blinkered or half-empty to even want to understand
> why something is discussed, instead its taken as a personal affront
> to them or their code.

The very problem is that some must implement these changes.  As David
has said, this is far from trivial.

No. Absolutely not. What we're discussing is ideas. No-one has to implement ideas. If there is widespread agreement that the idea is good, then at some point it could be implemented. We could certainly use it as a way to direct development - "hey, David, when you're working on the parser, could you also work towards making it case insensitive?". But if we are abused for making suggestions that would make life easier for users, as opposed to developers, then we should agree to stop discussion and drop GLISS.

--
Phil Holmes