Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 17:25:17 +0200 (CEST)

> What we're discussing is ideas.  No-one has to implement ideas.

Well...

> If there is widespread agreement that the idea is good, then at some
> point it could be implemented.

... but as David has correctly mentioned previously, it is not
fruitful to discuss something for a long time and make everyone agree
to it, just to find out later on that the idea can't be implemented in
the current framework.

It's a matter of fact that we are bound to what we have.  Everything
else would be a complete redesign of LilyPond, which is certainly a
noble goal but far, far away.  I don't think this is the intention of
GLISS.

> We could certainly use it as a way to direct development - "hey,
> David, when you're working on the parser, could you also work
> towards making it case insensitive?".

The case sensitivity is special since it doesn't need syntactical
changes.  However, other issues we've discussed recently are very
difficult to implement for reasons that most of us don't understand.
Admittedly, David tends to answer everything far too detailed (and he
probably he reads the e-mails too carefully)...

BTW, a survey of the most wanted changes to LilyPond would be a good
idea.  Maybe someone can set up such a poll, similar to the git
survey, on survs.com or a similar site.

    Werner