Re: allowing \f and \F (was: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: allowing \f and \F (was: [GLISS] - alternative viewpoint)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:44:02 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 07:56:52PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >
> > > Distinguishing \f and \F while ignoring case is going to be a rather
> > > difficult operation.
>
> I agree that distinguishing \f and \F is difficult.  However, if
> the programmers-as-developers were willing to discuss ideas and
> look for solutions, there are other options.  What is the
> fundamental desire here, and is there any way of accomplishing
> this?

I did not hear any serious desire to allow both \f and \F as distinct.
We have them as distinct identifiers now, of course, but do not like it
when different functions differ only by case.

To the contrary, the request was to accept (and complain) if we mistype
 \SlurDown

The complete request might be,
 If the users types an identifier that is not defined, request that LilyPond
attempt to find the lower-cased (C-locale) identifier among the lower-cased
versions of defined identifiers (picking the first found in case of duplicates)
and warn of the substitution "Don't know \SlurDown assuming you mean \slurDown"

In the troublesome case, when both \f and \F are defined, LilyPond would have
to count on the user to type the correct case, but we would separately try
to avoid depending on such distinctions