Re: allowing \f and \F

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: allowing \f and \F
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:00:54 +0200 (CEST)

>> I agree that distinguishing \f and \F is difficult.  [...]
>
> I did not hear any serious desire to allow both \f and \F as
> distinct.

Ugh, it seems that you haven't read my strong objections a few hours
ago.

> To the contrary, the request was to accept (and complain) if we
> mistype
>
>  \SlurDown

It's still not clear to me why this can't be handled in a front-end.
Compare this to correct English grammar, where you have to uppercase
certain words.  Many people use spell-checkers to fix typos, and
\foobar vs. \fooBar belongs exactly into this category.

> The complete request might be, If the users types an identifier that
> is not defined, request that LilyPond attempt to find the
> lower-cased (C-locale) identifier among the lower-cased versions of
> defined identifiers (picking the first found in case of duplicates)
> and warn of the substitution "Don't know \SlurDown assuming you mean
> \slurDown"

I would rather like to have this an error, with exactly the same error
message.  As mentioned earlier, using a Levenshtein distance or
something similar it should be possible to catch more serious typos in
the same vein.

> In the troublesome case, when both \f and \F are defined, LilyPond
> would have to count on the user to type the correct case, but we
> would separately try to avoid depending on such distinctions

Please no heuristics.

    Werner