Re: bar-line interface part 2/2: New bar line definition standard (issue

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: bar-line interface part 2/2: New bar line definition standard (issue 6498052)
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 11:23:08 +0200

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Thomas Morley
<address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/10/5  <address@hidden>:
>> It just occured to me: is there any way to specify different span bar
>> lines (at the end of the line and at the beginning of the line)?
>
> Marc and me, we discussed this some time ago and decided not to
> provide that functionality.
> It would make things more complicated for the user and I think it is a
> rarely needed feature.

Sorry for missing that part of the discussion.
If it's not too late to speak my mind, i think that it would be a
shame to have such an awesome and powerful barline interface without
giving users simple way to choose span barline behaviour.

I would imagine the user interface ("syntax") to be like this:
(define-bar-line (a b c) (x y z))
or
(define-bar-line ((a b c) . (x y z)))

where (a b c) are the barlines (mid-system, end-of-system,
beginning-of-system respectively) and (x y z) are the span barlines,
in the same order as barlines.
And it would be nice if
(define-bar-line (a b c) (x))
was equivalent to