Re: contributing instructions are misleading!

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: contributing instructions are misleading!
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:42:27 +0100

Am 12.12.2013 05:26, schrieb Carl Peterson:
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote
Fixing this doesn't require a reorganization.  It requires
deleting the two incorrect bits, dumping a @ref{Submitting a
patch} or whatever the @node is called.  On a similar note,
there's at least 2 "checklists before submitting a patch", at
least 1 of which has obsolete info.

It may not "require" a reorganization, but is there a clearer, more concise way of presenting the information to where there is "one truth" and we can say, "if you want to contribute, go to this page for the process"? I think there needs to be a page that just outlines the basic process and branches based on what people are doing/using.

For instance, trying to synthesize the information in broad strokes (and I could be missing, misstating, or overgeneralizing something):

1) You need to be running Linux.
   1.1: If you aren't using Linux, you can run Linux within your current operating system with LilyDev by following these instructions [link]
   1.2: If you're already running Linux, great! Here's how to make sure you have all the packages and tools needed to work on LilyPond [link]

2) You need to connect to the git repository and download the source files. To understand what git is, go here [link].

   2.1: If you are using the command line, go here [link]
   2.2: If you are not comfortable using the command line, go here to download lily-git.tcl [link]

3) Once you have downloaded the files, begin making your edits. Go here to see some of our development policies and practices [link]

4) As you edit the code, you will need to make one or more local commits to your code, to record your changes in a way that can be eventually integrated into the official source.
   4.1: If you are using the command line, go here [link]
   4.2: If you are using lily-git.tcl, go here [link]

5) When you finish editing, you need to create patch files that represent the changes you made
   5.1: If you are using the command line, go here [link]
   5.2: If you are using lily-git.tcl, go here [link]

6) With your patch files ready, go here for directions on how to upload your changes for review and eventually submit them to the source code [link]

In my searching, I didn't find a page that really did this. Section 1.2 of the current CG should theoretically do this (based on the title), but it mostly just talks philosophically about git.

This is exactly the kind of information I'd need now too. (And being in that situation I can't offer doing anything about it.)
One particular question I have could be answered in this thread.
If I'm not completely wrong the CG insists on installing and using git-cl for uploading patches.
But if I'm not mistaken hardly anyone currently uses it.
So _if_ there is a way to upload a patch for review using normal command line git, email and/or upload forms, I'd really prefer not to use git-cl, which seems to be rather restrictive (by design).
But of course this should be documented (as 5.1 of Carl's list).

Urs