Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:04:16 +0100 (CET)

> Open_type_font:: and Pango_font::name_to_index() each call
> FT_Get_Name_Index().  Inserting print statements to trace those calls
> I find that FT_Get_Name_Index is called:
> 7 times for each character in a Tempo
> 5 times for each character in a Text Script
> 1 time for each notehead
> 5 times for each rest

Ouch.  `FT_Get_Name_Index' is quite a slow function, indeed, so
caching its results would speed up things a lot.

Note that speeding up the function itself was never on my radar – in
all the years I'm working on FreeTpye there was not a single request
to do so, IIRC.  Modern fonts use the SFNT container format, centered
around glyph indices, not glyph names.  In other words, looking up
glyph indices from glyph names is not a central function in most
cases.

I will check whether I can improve that in FreeType.

    Werner