Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:47:58 +0100

Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

> On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:27 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

>>> One easy way to avoid this is to turn off this feature with
>>> vertical-skylines = ##f for lots of grobs - I do this often for big
>>> scores when I want to compile them fast, but I reactivate the more
>>> accurate vertical skylines for the final version.
>>
>> Sigh.  It's stuff like that which really makes me pessimistic about the
>> prospects of LilyPond as serious software.
>>
>> If its developers consider it unusable for serious work out of the box
>
> It’s the opposite - I use the out of the box settings for serious work
> - it’s the unserious playing around that I try to speed up.

How is "unserious playing around" not part of a serious creative work
flow?

> I’ve said on several occasions that I’m indifferent deactivating some
> or all of vertical skylines as a default.  Several people are against
> this deactivation (notable Janek).

If we have more than a factor of 2 in timing involved between Linux and
Windows, then we do too much repeated processing in the font server.

> I’d be interested in gradations of UI options called perhaps:
>
> \faster-but-uglier
> \a-lot-faster-but-a-lot-uglier
> \ridiculously-fast-and-heinously-ugly

Nope.  In this case, the answer is to cache frequently accessed
information instead of requesting it again and again.

We don't want to give people a choice between different ways in which
LilyPond will be bad.  We just don't want LilyPond to be bad.