Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:24:45 -0800

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:38:23 -0800, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

I will check whether I can improve that in FreeType.

Is there a reason this would have such a significantly different
impact in Windows?

No.  It's exactly the same code on both platforms.  However, for
lilypond, even a single-element cache would help, see attached
quick'n'dirty patch (for FreeType).

The repeated look-ups of the same character, however, are not likely to be
successive calls to FT_Get_Name_Index(), so will not find the answer in such a
cache.

I do see how sfnt_get_name_index() does a linear search through the font to
find a matching name.  Much better if LilyPond could look up text characters by
their Unicode encoding.

The issue with Lilypond 2.17.95 is a more complicated than the original case
where we noticed that these look-ups took longer on Windows: