Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: anyone notice speed of 2.17.95 on Windows ?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:02:57 +0200

On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:47 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Sigh.  It's stuff like that which really makes me pessimistic about the
>>> prospects of LilyPond as serious software.
>>>
>>> If its developers consider it unusable for serious work out of the box
>>
>> It’s the opposite - I use the out of the box settings for serious work
>> - it’s the unserious playing around that I try to speed up.
>
> How is "unserious playing around" not part of a serious creative work
> flow?

It is - I misunderstood what you said.

For years, starting with Graham Percival, we’ve been kicking the around the
idea of invoking LilyPond at various speed/beauty tradeoffs.  I am for this,
but to date there have been no propositions that gel with the entire community.
 I have suggested turning off all my sideline work as a default, but people
feel this would not be the best option, so for now, we have it all, which is
also not the best option.  I stand by Graham’s idea.

>> I’ve said on several occasions that I’m indifferent deactivating some
>> or all of vertical skylines as a default.  Several people are against
>> this deactivation (notable Janek).
>
> If we have more than a factor of 2 in timing involved between Linux and
> Windows, then we do too much repeated processing in the font server.
>
>> I’d be interested in gradations of UI options called perhaps:
>>
>> \faster-but-uglier
>> \a-lot-faster-but-a-lot-uglier
>> \ridiculously-fast-and-heinously-ugly
>
> Nope.  In this case, the answer is to cache frequently accessed
> information instead of requesting it again and again.
>
> We don't want to give people a choice between different ways in which
> LilyPond will be bad.  We just don't want LilyPond to be bad.

In my initial patches, which involved caching everything, there was no
appreciable speed-up on Mac and Linux.  I did not test it on Windows, but I
don’t remember Windows users (Janek) reporting back problems).

I would be interested to do rigorous testing on Windows.  It is not hard to do
- it requires creating a Scheme hash linking glyph names to skylines.

I still advocate allowing users to specify a speed/beauty tradeoff, which can
be done in concert with optimization to LilyPond’s core.

Cheers,
MS