Re: Alternative Quarter Rest

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Alternative Quarter Rest
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 21:24:26 -0500

On Nov 28, 2014, at 08:51 , Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 2014, at 03:49 , Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I think that the symbol itself could be improved.  Somehow the slant
>> of the diagonal line looks to steep, so I think its shape should
>> probably checked with original scores (e.g. old Italian and French
>> vocal scores like Ricordi's old edition of `L'esirir d'amore').
>>
>>   Werner
>
> Thanks.  I don’t know if this is exactly what you meant, but in this
> low-resolution scan,
>
>  http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variations/scores/caw8891/large/index.html
>
> the rests are probably taller than the samples I’ve been working from.

The second draft is attached.  I found no other examples online (maybe I’m
lazy) so I interpreted a little.  The scan made it look like the rests were
touching the staff lines, but I didn’t like that, so I left a little room.

Should the rests and note heads be aligned at the left edge, as they appear to
be?