Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fwd: Google Code shutting down
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 12:51:16 +0100

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:33:22AM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> I can click the "export" button so all the issues are migrated to
>> github. Thoughts, ideas?
>>
>> Didn't someone setup a lilypond organization at github?
>
> There was some discussion about that, which spilled over to
> gnu-hackers or gnu-devel or whatever it's called.  Pending some
> investigation about the javascript libraries or scripts used on
> github.com, it's tentatively seen as "reluctantly acceptable" to
> host GNU software there.
>
> A few people spoke highly in favor of gitlab, but I'm not familiar
> with them so I can't say anything one way or the other.

GitLab (like GitHub) does not run on free software.  They have some
"community" version of their software freely available at least.
Gitorious was "eating its own dog food" with regard to running on their
free software version, but they have just been acquired by GitLab, and
due to licensing differences, Gitorious software will not be mixed with
either version of GitLab.  So the outlook for further company
development of Gitorious is somewhat dim.

Now Savannah is running on a continuation of the last free version of
SourceForge if I remember correctly, so that would not be a real
showstopper for picking up there.

But the situation overall is a nuisance.

> In addition to moving the issues, the "issue handling" scripts would
> need to be updated.  Things like git-cl, patchy, and the whole
> patch-submission system.  That will be a non-trivial effort.

You bet.  It would appear like Rietveld will stick around for longer,
but of course moving away from this Subversion-centric piece of our
infrastructure would also make sense.  But at least we have a different
time frame for that.