Re: Google Code shutting down

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Google Code shutting down
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 11:17:22 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> To: "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden>; "James" <address@hidden>; "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2015 10:44 AM

Trevor Daniels wrote Tuesday, May 12, 2015 9:15 PM

I'm sure we'll find some undesirable features of Allura when we get down to the details, but that's what the next few weeks will tell us.

I've pretty well completed my assessment of Allura at SourceForge, and find the facilities available pretty well match our needs, in fact they are surprisingly similar to those at GoogleCode. There are some differences but none which we can't live with. So far so good.

However, there is a show-stopper concerning the integrity of the Issues discussions recorded in the tracker. Each item in the discussion has an owner, and this is set to Anonymous during the import, since the original owner is not recognised as a SourceForge account-holder. This in itself is not a serious problem, as the correct owner is recorded in the text of the message. However, owners of discussion messages are always permitted to edit them, irrespective of the permission settings, and I can find no way of preventing this. That means Anonymous, which is any not-logged-in user, i.e. anyone, will be able to edit, accidently or maliciously, any and all discussion entries in our Issues DB.

I've reported this to the SourceForge maintainers:
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/10317/

Good detective work. This might be a pain, but don't think it's a show-stopper: there's no evidence it would actually happen. If it becomes a problem, we might well be able to get a script to update the owners?

--
Phil Holmes