Re: Google Code shutting down

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Google Code shutting down
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 19:32:23 +0000

On 5/12/15 6:46 AM, "James" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On 11/05/15 23:04, Trevor Daniels wrote:
>> Phil Holmes wrote Monday, May 11, 2015 6:21 PM
>>
>>> Have you investigated the API for patch and git-cl?
>> I've quickly looked at Allura's API.  It seems to contain all the
>>features we would need.  I've also looked at git-cl, but unpicking that
>>is someway outside my comfort zone.  It's built around code obtained
>>from Google.  I don't plan to work on git-cl's conversion, so we need
>>some other volunteer to do that.  Any takers?  I've not even looked at
>>patchy.

I'm willing to take a stab at the git-cl stuff.  I've done a quick look;
if we are going to continue to use Rietveld as our code review tool, the
changes to git-cl are almost certainly very minor.  The main piece of the
API we would need to use is to get the URL associated with a given issue
number.  I believe that the Allura API has the call needed to get the URL
(I expect it's part of the JSON representation), but I haven't yet tested
it.

>> Trevor
>Do we even need a new git-cl?
>
>I am no expert but wasn't that designed to get around the fact that we
>had to upload to two different places (one place for actual review and
>one for a note on the tracker). Does this new place come with it's own
>workflow and so it would be a case of 'use their tools' and update the
>CG with the instructions - at least as an interim solution.

I think this may be worth looking at as well.  But for right now, I really
like the way Rietveld handles code reviews.  As you suggested,  git-cl
ties the Rietveld review number to the LilyPond issue number.  Since we're
not (currently) proposing to change the review hosting service, most of
git-cl will continue to work unchanged, as I see it right now.

Thanks,

Carl