Re: git-cl upload has stopped working (so has patchy)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: git-cl upload has stopped working (so has patchy)
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 10:23:00 +0200

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno sab 30 mag 2015 alle 18:37, Trevor Daniels
>
>> Savannah may be prepared to install, maintain and host Allura, or
>> they may be prepared to let us install and maintain it.  Don't know
>> who 'us' would be - not me, I have no *nix experience.  David says
>> he'll contact them to ask.
>
> So far it looks like they are happy to offer hosting but we'll have to
> install and maintain Allura or whatever we choose eventually.
> At any rate, I wouldn't use Sourceforge:
> http://helb.github.io/goodbye-sourceforge/
>
> or any third party server which we do not trust.
>
>> AFAIK there is no alternative to Allura on the table, so that seems
>> a de facto decision.
>>
>> And of course the scripts still have to be re-engineered to make
>> life easier, whichever option is chosen (or forced on us).
>
> What about Gitlab?
> https://about.gitlab.com/features/
>
> I vaguely remember that Urs is using it for his projects, maybe he can
> give us some feedback and warn about any possible limitation.
> What if Google decides shutting down even Rietveld? Gitlab has also
> code review.

Personally, I'd consider it better to work with a combined site in this
respect since it would mean that any tools we develop for our workflows
(like our own personal git-cl fork) are not LilyPond-only.

Gitlab is implemented in Ruby, no idea whether that means any of the
quite-harder-to-make-secure-than-getting-it-up warnings for
Ruby-on-Rails are applicable here.  It has separate community and
(non-free) enterprise editions which basically differ in support of
directory services IIRC.  So that might mean that sharing/integrating
user management with Savannah might be non-trivial.

It does import projects from Github, and Github imports projects from
Google Code.  So an experimental setup of LilyPond on Gitlab itself
(which is not totally representative as Gitlab's servers don't run the
community edition) should be possible pretty easily.  As long as Github
does not give users the finger who employ its resources for the sake of
moving a project elsewhere.

Gitorious had no separate free and proprietary editions but they have
been bought by Gitlab basically in order to get the project closed down.

So I'm basically a bit wary regarding the upstream project and its
owners' intentions but, uhm, we are comparing this with Sourceforge
here.