Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 20:42:22 +0200

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno sab 11 lug 2015 alle 9:28, Urs Liska <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:
>> These are all good ideas and suggestions. Now we need someone to
>> give it a try. I won't be able to do anythong about ut
>> unfortunately.
>
> Unfortunately I'm scared away by texinfo, texi2html, the build system,
> etc.
>
> I wish we could use a modern tool for the website (there are nice
> static website generators around.. I've recently started testing
> cactus¹). I'm pretty sure that other people might be more motivated to
> contribute if we changed the tool for the website only.

We use the same input language for the website as for the rest of the
documentation.  As a consequence, our website and main documentation are
maintained and kept up-to-date with respect to one another, and one can
search any website material in Emacs' info browser.

What "tool for the website" will be maintaining literally thousands of
LilyPond code examples and the resulting images?  And if we have people
motivated to contribute to web-only documentation, what is supposed to
happen to the PDF manuals and the Info manuals?

And our web pages currently render perfectly well on pretty much every
browser (including text browsers).  Many content creation tools don't
render convincingly on less common browsers or screen resolutions.

I don't really see that we have much to gain by forking part of our
documentation off into different incompatible technology.

> I have the bad feeling that the issues marked with label website will
> remain open forever:
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3Awebsite&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Stars+Owner+Patch+Needs+Summary&x=type&cells=tiles

You won't get them magically closed by moving to another tool, and we'll
get a lot of new ones, to boot.  And when the people excited about
hacking up a website on some new tool will become unexcited and
eventually go away, there will be nobody who can pitch in without
learning yet another tool.