Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 08:25:00 +0200

Werner, I'm skipping your replies where you were implying that I was proposing to change the whole documentation system and not just the website.

Il giorno dom 19 lug 2015 alle 7:26, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> ha scritto:

 1. All the persons who built the lilypond build system left the
    project.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

While probably correct, it is irrelevant to the discussion.

 Who is going to fix all the issues related to website generation and
 translation?  Who is going to spend work on trying to understand
 something extremely complex which can be useful only within the
 LilyPond project?  I would not be optimistic...

But fixing those issues, if there is a *pressing need*, will be much,
much simpler than converting everything to a new documentation system!
Right now, it simply works.

 2. We still depend on texi2html and the help request by
 Jean-Charles, who tried moving to texi2any, not surprisingly was
 ignored:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-05/msg00032.html

The `non surprisingly' is polemic.  As you certainly know, if noone
answers on the mailing list, the request is not ignored, but nobody
has time or knowledge to help – I really would love to help, but I
also don't have time currently.  Just imagine that all developers
write I'm-so-sorry-e-mails for every request...

I didn't mean to be polemic, I just wanted to highlight strongly that AFAICS we do not have active maintainers of the current tools. The first point I wrote above, which you think is irrelevant to the discussion, is relevant.

texi2html is deprecated since 2011. It's still present in most distributions but I guess that it won't be there forever. For example, in Debian:
https://wiki.debian.org/Texi2htmlTransition

There will be a pressing need to move to texi2any quite soon, otherwise LilyPond may be removed from the distro repository.