Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 01:20:46 +0100

> On 25 Feb 2019, at 01:04, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> So the current Xcode SDK very clearly is off-limits for use within GUB.
>>> It's probably either some Darwin SDK or we'll stop providing MacOSX
>>> packagers/versions altogether.
>>
>> US copyright law makes an exception for computer maintenance, so it
>> would seem OK to develop on another platform, and distribute it for
>> use on the indicated hardware.
>
> I don't see any judge buying application development on a computer owned
> by someone who has no idea what computer the application is going to be
> used on as "computer maintenance".

Apple used it once with a bug report I made, but you might wait and see what
the judge says, or check with somebody who is into law.

>> Another exception: Some OS X server version has been made available on
>> VirtualBox.org and I figure one might run Xcode within that. Their
>> legal department perhaps didn't think about that.
>>
>> But you might look into making a MacPorts version, using GCC.
>
> We _are_ using GCC but we also need a runtime environment.

Xcode uses Apple's inhouse Clang, so MacPorts would be a way to avoid that. The
ABI is the same, and also the debugging format, but the Xcode debugger
complains about OS version when using GCC. Emacs has an app that is installed
via MacPorts, so it links against the OS X runtime environments for the GUI.