Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 06:09:17 -0600

On 2/24/2019 5:10 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:

Xcode license:
   https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/xcode.pdf

Well, I think that one is pretty clear:

     2.5
     Copies

     [...] For clarity, You may copy only the entire package or piece of
     the Apple Software and Services in its entirety and only for use as
     permitted herein. You may not alter the Apple Software or Services
     in any way in such copy, e.g., You are expressly prohibited from
     separately using the Apple SDKs or attempting to run any part of the
     Apple Software on non-Apple-branded hardware.  [...]

So the current Xcode SDK very clearly is off-limits for use within GUB.
It's probably either some Darwin SDK or we'll stop providing MacOSX
packagers/versions altogether.

I wonder what the chances are of finding an older XCode's Apple SDK with a more permissive license agreement? Archive.org's oldest copy of that Apple SLA document link is from 2011:

<http://web.archive.org/web/20111023213852/https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/xcode.pdf>

The XCodes I was eyeing for SDK extraction are from 2009 or so.

I'm still thinking it would be ideal if the macOS LilyPond could be built as it now is. That's the least work for LilyPond build people, and probably the best result for macOS users.

I'm planing to ask on the Apple Developer Forum about possibilities for Linux cross-compile - explaining our current situation, future options, and software license concerns.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA