Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 16:44:08 +0000

On 2/25/19, 5:23 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

    Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

    > I'm still thinking it would be ideal if the macOS LilyPond could be
    > built as it now is. That's the least work for LilyPond build people,
    > and probably the best result for macOS users.

    The question was not whether this was the best way but whether it was at
    all legal.  I'd certainly want us to have a MacOSX installer that just
    falls out with as little per-version human effort as it and other
    installers do now.  If Apple says "no" to using Xcode for that purpose,
    then we cannot argue our way out of that but there may be other
    development environments that we can make use of.  That's why I
    suggested looking what is available for Darwin (I think OpenDarwin at
    some point of time closed shop but that was some time ago and I haven't
    followed developments).

A further look into PureDarwin's website shows that many of the Darwin
utilities in fact link to closed-source Apple libraries.

https://github.com/PureDarwin/PureDarwin/wiki/Purity

For example, gettext links to CoreFoundation and pango links to 6 proprietary
libraries.

So probably we can't even ship a command-line-only version of LilyPond without
having linking ability to OSX.

Carl