Re: Python 3 (was: 2.20 where are we?)

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Python 3 (was: 2.20 where are we?)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 11:03:11 +0200

Am Montag, den 23.09.2019, 12:26 -0300 schrieb Matthew Peveler:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 5:52 AM Jonas Hahnfeld via lilypond-devel
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On top of that I've worked on the attached patches which brings the make
> > targets check / test and doc back to life with Python 3.7.4.
>
> In applying your patches and running "make check", I encountered a couple of
> errors in scripts/build/output-distance.py, which would be summed up as:
>
> 1. Python 2 old style classes had a default __cmp__ which would compare the
> id() of the classes, and used implicitly for sort. Python 3 removed this, but
> need to define a __lt__ method for sort compat.
> 2. attempting to open midi files as str files, though they are filled with
> binary data (and python/midi.py seems to expect binary in interacting with
> the contents).
>
> Please see the attached for small patches for these two things, and got "make
> check" to run for me using Python 3.7.4 as well.
>
> Regards,
> Matt

Ha, I already wondered why there are two targets check and test that
both ran into the same issues (when I started). Turns out, the target
"check" runs "test" but not the other way around, and I only verified
that "test" works in the end...

The patches make sense to me and also work on my system. You should
probably remove the print() statement in the second patch, though.

Thanks,
Jonas