Re: development process

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: development process
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 16:25:37 +0100

Kevin Barry <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know if lurkers' opinions count, but on the subject of potential
> replacements for Savannah/Sourceforge: I am part of a team that administer
> both Gerrit and Gitlab in-house deployments. If choosing between them I
> would advocate for Gitlab because it includes issue tracking and CI/CD so
> perhaps all work can go through one place and contributors/maintainers
> would not need to have accounts for multiple apps/systems. Gerrit is a good
> code review tool, but for various reasons that may be our own fault, it is
> deeply unpopular where I work.

Ok, that's giving us one point of reference.

> I am sadly not quite up to the task of developing the codebase (maybe one
> day), but I can help with systems/operational things if wanted.

Our last infrastructure move suffered heavily from the people tasked
with it not being acquainted and/or comfortable with the
systems/operational things at hand.

It was sort of a painful lesson, but at the current point of time it
would appear that self-hosting an instance rather than having to rely on
a tentatively "free" offering might be too optimistic for a project of
LilyPond's size compared to the available manpower and knowledge.

And Savannah, the GNU infrastructure, does not really have the sysadmin
power to be part of a helpful solution either, even though we can host
the naked Git repository there (and already do so).