Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 23:04:01 +0000

On 2/6/20, 3:03 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of kieren_macmillan
kieren_macmillan" <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf
of address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

    We lost at least 30 [!!] person-years of extremely high-level programming
    assistance because of the past tone in this community — yes, I can justify
that
    claim with concrete data — and we’re currently in danger of losing more,
    indefinitely, because a few people in the community are unwilling to
collaborate
    on a piece of prose which would offer that we try to be a welcoming
community.

I have expressed reservations about the proposed code of conduct.  I hope that
I am not perceived as being unwilling to collaborate on improving the
friendliness of the LilyPond community.

I am perfectly fine with a code of conduct that expresses the values of
openness, friendliness, and mutual respect.  I believe in those things deeply.
I try to always have my participation in the LilyPond community reflect those
values.  If I ever fall afoul of them, I hope that somebody will let me know.

I am concerned about a code of conduct that has an implied threat in it.  And
the present proposal has an implied threat to at least one of our members.
David K. has seen the implied threat, and he believes that the ultimate outcome
of accepting the proposed code of conduct would be that he would eventually be
banned.  That is his reality, just as much as those who have been offended on
the LilyPond lists have a reality that it's not a nice place for them to be.

I think that the presence (in the proposed CoC )of an enforcement committee
that has the power to sanction participants in response to anonymous complaints
is more than just a bit of prose.  It's the creation of a new structure that
governs our community.  It's the structure I have concerns about, not the prose.

I'm thinking through the issues, and I don't know exactly where I finally come
down.  But at this point, I think I would welcome a code of conduct that
expressed our aspirations to be open, friendly, welcome to diversity; and
opposed to harassment,  bullying, belittling, and other negative forms of
communication.  If the code of conduct also proposed a mediation committee that
would provide support to people who were having trouble with the community
(either those who felt damaged by the negative communication or those who were
accused of negative communication), I think I could support that.  Having a
committee that tries to smooth things over seems only a positive.

    To my mind, that’s a real wasted opportunity, and sufficient justification
to at
    least consider a CoC — a document which, for the record, I would have fell
afoul
    of multiple times in the 17 [!!] years I’ve been posting.

I agree that it's a wasted opportunity.  I think we should try to improve
things.  But I'm concerned that if you would have fallen afoul of the proposed
CoC, the CoC is pretty restrictive.  I think your posts are consistently
positive.

    > Apple carts unfortunately get upset once in a while. That is just life.

    So if someone goes around regularly knocking over everyone’s cart —
    intentionally or otherwise — and as a result drives the sellers with the
best
    apples to another village, there’s no benefit in trying to figure out a way
    direct the person’s energies to more constructive and less disruptive
    purpose(s)? I’m sure glad the real world doesn’t work on that model.

I think it's wonderful to try to help a person be more constructive and less
disruptive.   I also think I would be concerned if the only person who sells
peaches in the village stopped providing peaches because she occasionally
knocked over an applecart.  The community would be worse of in both cases -- no
peaches or no apples.  A plan to provide *both* peaches and apples would be far
better.

The proposed CoC, in  my opinion, does not have a friendly tone towards those
who run afoul of the CoC.  And I think we need to be friendly to all, including
those who run afoul of the CoC.  Rather than seeking to ostracize them, we
should seek to help them.  The proposed CoC doesn’t feel that way to me.

But I'd be very happy to try to help make it feel friendly.

Thanks,

Carl