Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 00:35:47 +0100

Wols Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> On 06/02/20 20:56, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> I think that you are overstating things a little bit.  I recommend
>> that if you choose to use such a signature, it would be better to
>> say "My replies are known to sometimes cause friction.  This is
>> unintentional.  To help mitigating...."
>>
> Likewise.
>
> Are you (David, that is) on the autistic spectrum?

Who isn't?

> I'd be inclined just to put something minimal on the lines of "I am on
> the autistic spectrum, and if I come over as extremely blunt please
> forgive me. Please take me as you find me, and take my posts for the
> constructive criticism they are meant to be".

"highly functional autism" is a descriptive term, not an excuse.  "if
that sounds like I am an asshole, it might be because I am one" does not
really help people.  They still need to communicate and cope with the
feelings that this communication may trigger.

There is no nice David hidden underneath if you just take away the
autistic spectrum.  It's just a descriptive term for some peculiar but
not entirely unique facets of who I am.

> I'm borderline on the spectrum myself, and yes it can make life
> difficult with people who don't know you ...

But the point is they have to know you, not your medical folder.

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".