Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 11:14:11 +0100

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 2:55 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > As an example look at the review of one of my own patches
> > https://codereview.appspot.com/270640043
> > Quoting dak:
> > "This looks like a total mess."
> > "Total waste of effort."
> > "Aaand another one."
>
> Ouch.  Fortunately in context this looks less dire ("Aaand another one."
> for example just means "And here is another thing I found after looking
> more carefully.").  Those sentences are part of a larger line-by-line
> review and more or less the cream of the crop.

When I do reviews, I often write similar things as well.

But then, before sending it back, I read over the reply once more. I then
change things like

  This is messy, you want to do X which is wrong.

  Have you tried Y instead? I think might make things cleaner.

This will get the same outcome coding-wise, but avoids treading on the ego
of the person on the other side.