Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct (issue 575620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 09:46:01 -0500

Hi Karlin,

> I've been following Lilypond mailing lists since 2016 or so. I'd
> describe my most common role as "entry-level tech support," answering
> the most basic mailing list questions so better-skilled people don't
> have to deal with them.

That "job" is going on my list.  :)

> I can point to the exact thread(s) that drew me into the Lilypond
> community. (keywords: mclaren prime tuplets) The outstanding feature
> to me was its handling of conflict.

I remember it well.

> In that thread, it was as if someone had read the Dale Carnegie "How
> To Win Friends and Influence People" book and then behaved the exact
> opposite of everything the book teaches.

Including mclaren.

The "mclaren prime tuplets" thread is *exactly* the one I’ve been thinking
about during this whole discussion: if we had had a reasonably-defined CoC
document and mechanism, I’m betting it would have diffused that situation well
before it spun out of control like it did. To my mind, that thread is the
primary evidence for the need for a CoC in the Lilypond community.

> For me, another big barrier to contributing is simply not knowing
> what's a good area to work on.

100%. I’m hoping my Giant Granular List of Every Lilypond Job will help in that
regard.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)