Re: Add Code of Conduct

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 08:23:13 +0000

On 07/02/2020 09:50, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Thanks for your careful observations.

First, the CoC was actually coined by Mike, and I saw it as a proposal to
bring LilyPond into the next decade.

What is that even supposed to mean? Again empty, ]words that sound 'nice' but mean nothing.

A CoC is a pretty normal concept these
days.

Here we go ... ".. everyone else does it... so we should .. " still with no point to any of it that I can see.

If having a CoC is required to be taken seriously by developers at
large, we should consider it.
And for those of us who don't take them seriously and see them as an attempt at behavioral control by certain people for certain people.
I concede that CoCs haven't yet reached this
level of ubiquity, though.
Probably for good reason.
For full disclosure, David has ticked me off in the past, and reacquainting
myself with the community means that I have to reacquaint myself with
David's way of communicating.

Can we just stop bashing David?

One of the recent emails (about the
development process), contained a passage that felt like a blow in my
stomach and upset me to the point of considering to leave again. (When I
say this, I am not asking for adulation). If that happens to me, imagine
what happens when a new contributor is on the receiving end of that. So I
am happy to see that David is trying new ways to address this problem.

All without having at CoC.

I have no personal stake in being a CoC committee member, and was actually
volunteered into it by Janek. I am happy to not be part of such a committee
(Elaine, would you be interested?), because my time is limited, and is
probably best spent in mentoring coders and explaining the code base. For
the record, I think Werner is an excellent candidate.

If we're doing a 'for the record', then just let me state here if/when we have a CoC, I will be leaving the LP project , so I guess you better start getting all your automation ducks in a row for patch testing and shepherding etc, or someone else will need to step in do what I currently do.

What a shame.

James