Re: Add Code of Conduct

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 16:51:45 +0100

Am Sa., 8. Feb. 2020 um 14:59 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden>:

> To me, the greatest shame is that all the positive energy and momentum coming
> out of the Salzburg conference is, it seems, in real danger of being shut
> down by toxic energy of the same kind that has led to the community attrition
> over the last 5-7 years.
>
> Just an observation from someone who’s been here since 2003, and watched this
> movie before.

Hi Kieren,

I'd like to fully agree to your statement about the positive energy,
etc out of the Salzburg conference.
It was a great event and great to meet so many people and great to
(I'll stop continuing the list ...).
Again a big, big THANK YOU to Werner and all who made it possible!!

We discussed many plans, among them (without claim of completeness)
- developer-tools (move to GitHub or similar)
- implement stuff from openlilylib
- CoC
- finally migrate to guile-2
- ...

Though, those were plans, sometimes more declarations of intents.
Ofcourse there was not the time to discuss the details.
Home again, and making those plans public, not only more people got
involved (with probably different opinions), but one had a better
opportunity to think over the details.
Thus I think it's natural, thoughts will diverge even more than
already noticed in Salzburg.

Let me pick a not so heated discussed point: developer-tools and share
my own thoughts:
While I still object going for GitHub, I changed my mind wrt to other tools.
I reflected some of my reservations, coming from simply lazyness: I
had to do hard work to get to grips with the current reviewing-setup.
Thus I feared the need to do it again. Nowadays I think, it may be
better to move away from Rietveld/sourceforge.

On other plans even more objections may happen, see James' thoughts
about the CoC.

Again, I think it's natural to observe a broader, more diverging
amount of opinions.

We need to deal with this, without starting a flame-war, going toxic
or whatever, but in a civil way.

Not going into details of the CoC-discussion, why not handle it as what it is:
It's a patch. Review showed there are too many objections. Thus it
should be set to 'needs work' or 'waiting'.
Otoh, there are suggestions to replace this proposal. Why not focus on
those proposals?

For me it's more a shame we are distracted by such discussions from
doing our work.
Although my time is very limited during the usual workingweek, I'd
love to do more on the guile-v2-thingy or at least doing tests for the
already done work, etc. Instead I write this mail (okay, a 'make
test-baseline' runs in the background) or read through very long
threads....

Cheers,
  Harm

P.S. that 'make test-baseline' failed, I'll need to investigate after
sending this.