Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser
Subject: Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 14:23:51 -0400

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 2:07 PM Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Would adding the links require manual intervention? If possible I’d
> like to avoid that so that there’s minimal friction when a new build is
> released.
>
> I don't see why, once they have initially been established.  The only
> issue might be timing synchronisation.  If the website is updated with a
> new version, it would be good to have the Mac binaries already there,
> rather than a dead link for a while.

Why would there be a synchronization issue?  I’m not sure I under stand the
problem you’re envisioning.

> > The zipped .app bundles have been about 35–56 MB. Have a look here:
>
> Too big to email.  Can you ftp them to a website, or would you propose
> getting them to me with a file transfer site?

I’d propose having GitLab CI (or whatever automated builder I wind up with)
post them directly to an API or FTP/SCP them to the appropriate place, or
alternatively to host then externally (on Bintray or GitLab, say) and just
provide links.  But whatever we decide, it should be automatic just as I
gather it currently is with GUB.

The idea I have:
1. Every tag, or even every Git commit, automatically triggers a build.
2. The completed build is automatically pushed to some download server.
3. The website automatically provides a link to the completed build.

Right now I already have a usable Makefile and build environment; I just
need get some final kinks out and automate step 1 with GitLab CI or
similar.  Once that happens, if we can automate steps 2 and 3 as well, we
will have a fully automatic pipeline for the 64-bit Mac builds.  I don’t
want any human (including myself) to be a single point of failure in the
pipeline.

> --
> Phil Holmes

Best,