Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 21:13:09 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 08.03.2020, 16:04 -0400 schrieb Marnen Laibow-Koser:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 3:43 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Why?  It’s common and (in the general case) easy to do with modern CI/CD
> > > infrastructure.  Besides, if we don’t do it, then the 64-bit Mac builds
> > > will be less generally available, and that will negate the point of all
> > > my work on them.
> >
> > I'm not saying that you shouldn't upload it (even though it kind of
> > feels like a third party package right now).
>
> How does it feel like a third-party package?  I'm basically duplicating the
> structure of the official 32-bit Mac builds, except that I'm not using GUB.

Exactly, precisely what I said.

> > Besides how often do you
> > expect rebuilds for each release? That's hopefully one binary package
> > per LilyPond release, right?
>
> At least.  Ideally I'd like to also make available a "bleeding-edge" .app
> build, either nightly or for each commit accepted into master.  But that's
> less important than making builds available for each release, of course.
>

> > > Or are you suggesting another way to make the builds generally available?
> > >  If so, what?  Right now I’m manually uploading them to Bintray, which
> > > isn’t sustainable (although I *could* automate that through their API).

> > > I do too.  It’s a good idea in theory, but *way* too complicated.
>
> Clarification: I meant that *GUB* is way too complicated.  I would like to
> switch to a simpler build method.
> > No, it works: https://github.com/hahnjo/lilypond-binaries/
>
> What is that?  It has no description or README, and I cannot easily tell what
> it is meant to do.

"There hasn't been a thread on lilypond-devel about this yet because
I'm waiting for 2.21.0 which we'll do with GUB."

> > And unless proven wrong, I think this will also work for macOS (given a
> > few tweaks).
>
> We *already* have something working for macOS, as I've made clear on this
> list.  See https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64 and
> http://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder ;.  If you think my work can be
> improved by yours, or vice versa, pull requests are welcome!

Yes, I think it can be improved: There should not be separate ways to
build release binaries for each platform. I suggested that we
collaborate back in January.

Jonas