Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser
Subject: Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 18:16:26 -0400

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 6:06 PM Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 3/8/20, 3:30 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Marnen Laibow-Koser"
> <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of
> address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

>     Wouldn’t they all be triggered off the same Git event?
>

> It seems to me that nightly (or git commit related) builds would have the
> version of the *next* unstable release.

Why do you think that?  It’s one possibility, sure, but there are others.
I haven’t done the research yet to know which option makes sense here.

So a script on Marnen's site that builds an app bundle and uploads it to
> lilypond.org would have the release already on the website *before* the
> GUB build was released.

Meaning the GUB build of the next version that wouldn’t even exist yet?

However, this file wouldn't be linked anywhere on the website, so nobody
> would have a link to it (although, I guess they could guess what it is,
> since it has a known name structure).

If I were to upload it, I’d make sure there was a link of some sort to it.
Otherwise what’s the point?

> When an official release is made, the already-existing file is on
> lilypond.org.  And the next periodic build from Marnen's site would be
> for the *next* unstable version.

I don’t see how this follows from anything I’ve said...

> So I'm in favor of
>
> * Giving Marnen's CI site access to upload files at lilypond.org

(Small quibble: ideally, this will soon be the LilyPond project’s CI site,
not ‘mine’.  I really don’t want to be the sole person in charge of this.)

<http://lilypond.org>
> * Using CI to provide regular upload to lilypond.org of the *next* stable
> version of lilypond.

What do you mean by “next stable version”?

> Also, I'm in favor of automating Marnen's process as a test for future
> possible automation that doesn't use GUB.
>
> Marnen,  thank you so much for developing the lilypond .app bundle!  I
> need that to be able to use multiple versions of lilypond with Frescobaldi
> on OSX.  I'm really happy that you've done this work!

You’re most welcome!  Interesting point about multiple versions; some
package managers support that use case and some do not.  But .app bundles
always trivially support it.

> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Best,