Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website

From: Jahrme Risner
Subject: Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2020 19:45:02 +0000

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 12:23, Marnen Laibow-Koser <address@hidden> wrote:

>> hope we can switch all platforms away from GUB,
>
> I do too. It’s a good idea in theory, but *way* too complicated.
>
> so this likely needs a
>> general solution then.
>
> Whatever we build here can probably be the first step toward one. Besides,
> who knows how long it will take to get rid of GUB? I don’t want to force
> Catalina users to wait for that to happen in order to easily use LilyPond.

Claiming that Catalina users do not have an easy way to use LilyPond is your
opinion. While you have made it clear previously that you personally do not
find MacPorts to be sufficiently “easy”, I would like to point out that its
LilyPond port has already been updated to 2.20.0 and is in use.

One benefit of using a package manager is that casual users do not need to
track when a new version is released, the new version will just appear in their
list of packages eligible for an update. Unless you are considering adding a
“check for updates” capability to the .app bundles, that is something that
cannot be done through static releases.

Best wishes,
Jahrme