Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser
Subject: Re: Linking 64-bit Mac builds from website
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 15:23:27 -0400

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 2:38 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 08.03.2020, 14:23 -0400 schrieb Marnen Laibow-Koser:

[...]

> > The idea I have:
> > 1. Every tag, or even every Git commit, automatically triggers a build.
> > 2. The completed build is automatically pushed to some download server.
> > 3. The website automatically provides a link to the completed build.
> >
> > Right now I already have a usable Makefile and build environment; I just
> > need get some final kinks out and automate step 1 with GitLab CI or
> > similar.  Once that happens, if we can automate steps 2 and 3 as well, we
> > will have a fully automatic pipeline for the 64-bit Mac builds.  I don’t
> > want any human (including myself) to be a single point of failure in the
> > pipeline.
>
> It might be worth holding off this level of automation for a bit.

Why?  It’s common and (in the general case) easy to do with modern CI/CD
infrastructure.  Besides, if we don’t do it, then the 64-bit Mac builds
will be less generally available, and that will negate the point of all my
work on them.

Or are you suggesting another way to make the builds generally available?
If so, what?  Right now I’m manually uploading them to Bintray, which isn’t
sustainable (although I *could* automate that through their API).

> hope we can switch all platforms away from GUB,

I do too.  It’s a good idea in theory, but *way* too complicated.

so this likely needs a
> general solution then.

Whatever we build here can probably be the first step toward one.  Besides,
who knows how long it will take to get rid of GUB?  I don’t want to force
Catalina users to wait for that to happen in order to easily use LilyPond.

> Jonas

 Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser address@hidden http://www.marnen.org Sent from Gmail