Re: Make Grid take an edit id

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Make Grid take an edit id
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:00:20 +0100

Le 02/01/2022 à 09:20, Valentin Petzel a écrit :
Sorry, that was not meant that way. This was intended to demonstrate the
usefulness of having such an id for the line, no matter if it is a separate
property or a value of details.
(Having one id property for all grobs does seem reasonable.)

About the other thing: It gets more complicated for both the implementation
and the user. For example in a situation where the number of encompassed
Staves is not fixed, e.g. when Staves are added or removed during the music (as
shown in the appendend very bad example) the context name based approach is
rather complicated, as for each change to the staves we’d need to create a new
grid. Instead with an id based approach it is sufficient to do something like

\startGrid id moment
for each staff in the place it is needed and
\stopGrid id
once we want to take the staff out of the grid.

As I understand it, this gives you one
\startGrid and one \stopGrid at each
moment when you change the grid scheme
in your example. In contrast, context
names give you one \stopGrid and one
\startGrid "name of context", and you
no longer have to declare the grids in
advance. That's not bad, is it? Assuming
that I'm misunderstanding what you mean,
I still think it would be worth it to
make the input more convenient in 90%
of cases even if that means less convenience
in the remaining 10%.

Best,
Jean