Re: Make Grid take an edit id

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Make Grid take an edit id
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 23:56:57 +0100

Le 01/01/2022 à 23:51, Valentin Petzel a écrit :
Hello Jean,

Thank you for your input. We can of course use details for an id, that is
true. A context name based approach would be thinkable, but maybe a bit
complicated at times.

Do you mean complicated for users or for
the code? Could you elaborate?

Similarly one could use an ID based approach like
\makeGrid id moment music
or something.

One important aspect of having an ID is being able to handle the produced
grobs differently, as for example in the regtest file
https://vpetzel.gitlab.io/-/lilypond/-/jobs/1933942908/artifacts/test-results/
index.html
where one id is blue, one red.

Well, you can also do this with 'details, can't
you? If we are going to add more IDs, I'd rather
see one unified 'id property of the grob-interface
replacing spanner-id and parenthesis-id. OK,
I was the one to add parenthesis-id, but on
contrary to spanner-id it is an internal implementation
detail that users never set themselves, at least
when they follow documented methods, so it didn't
seem appropriate to use one single property at the
time. If we decide that we want more user-oriented
IDs, then it would seem better to add them for
all grobs rather than just grid lines.

Best,
Jean