Re: Make Grid take an edit id

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Make Grid take an edit id
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 23:59:44 +0100

The big difference here is that with the context names one would need to
redefine the whole grid whenever something changes. Meanwhile the id way allows
for each context to chime in and out on the grid without knowing what else is
on the grid. This gets really useful when we do things like parts, as with the
context name way we kind of get a problem if we remove the context that defines
the grid.

At least I do not understand how the context name approach is supposed to
handle such cases with just one startGrid and one stopGrid?

Also the individual approach allows us to set different grid intervals for
different contexts very easily, while the global approach would require
definition of multiple grids.

I am totally with you that making the input more convenient is a thing to
strive for, but I’m not sure if the context name approach is in fact more
convenient in most situations. At least I’m feeling kind of bad about forcing
a need for context IDs for something like a grid.

I’ll do a test implementation for both versions, so we can have something
solid to compare.

Is there a good reason why we limit the scheme handles for find_context to
finding above and only by context name (and not id)? If not I’d revise this, as
the context id based approach would require such functionality.

Cheers,
Valentin