Re: Setting up classical guitar fingerings

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: Setting up classical guitar fingerings
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:34:26 +0100

Thanks Jean,
I thought a somewhat more complete example of the configurations I'm
looking at would help get a sense of the scope of the problem,
and also that the solution would be an easy "do this" or "look here" kind
of answer.
My concern with a tiny example is that it risks to create a rather longer
chain of emails about "what about this case, and that case" which can then
turn into a "why didn't you tell me before you needed all these things"
kind of discussion. I'd have thought that is also poor use of people's
time, you see.

That being said, I really appreciate you spending the time to do this,
I'll try to keep my examples shorter in my future questions.
And please, just tell me and I'll do the legwork of trimming things down,
I completely agree with you that your time can and should be put to better
use than deleting my source.

Going back to the example itself, there are two questions in flight here:
 a) I'm looking for a way to get the fingerings where I want them without
using one-note-chord tricks
 b) I'm also looking to position fingering a bit more finely than what the
second piece shows (as you can see, while some fingerings look passable,
others are not in a well placed location, for various reasons): referring
to the longer example in the pdf, in general it's clear that the beaming
layout is not taking into account the fingerings, say bar 6, the high e-0
or the slur in bar 9: the beams should automatically set a bit looser than
they are to make it all breathe more openly, at least to my taste. Another
example of a different kind is the eis-3 in bar 10: the 3 sits awkwardly in
the f-space which makes it hard to read, I feel nudging it elsewhere would
make it easier to see (in this case I'd probably pick a half-space up).

I feel there's some overlap in the two answers though (fingerings need to
deal with accidentals, for example).
For a) I've reworked your example into what below

\version "2.22.1"

\layout {
   \context {
     \Voice
     \override Fingering.X-offset = #0.5
     \override Fingering.parent-alignment-X = #-1
     %%\override Fingering.self-alignment-X = #1
     %%\override Fingering.self-alignment-Y = #-1
     %%\override Fingering.side-axis = #X
     \override Fingering.staff-padding = #'()
     \override Fingering.add-stem-support = ##f
   }
}

% this is what I want to type
target = \relative {
   c'16-3 d-3 e-3 g-3
   <<
     { c,16 e'32 g-4 g16 b }
     \\
     { d,,,8.-0 dis''16-3 }

}

% this is something that currently gets some of the way there
reference = \relative {
   <c'-3>16 <d-3> <e-3> <g-3>
   <<
     { c,16 e'32 <g-4> g16 b }
     \\
     { <d,,,-0>8. <dis''-3>16 }

}

{
   \target
   \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
   \override Staff.Fingering.extra-offset = #'(0.125 . 0.5)
   \reference
}

As I said, I'm more than happy to write code, I'm not necessarily looking
for a "simple" solution.
If the answer is: "it's a big change involving steps a to f", I'm happy to
have at it, under somebody's guidance.
Given that solving this problem is a need of mine, I feel it's completely
fine that it ends up being my cost to fix it,
all I'm looking for is a few breadcrumbs.

Thanks again,