Re: Setting up classical guitar fingerings

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: Setting up classical guitar fingerings
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:19:30 +0100

Hi Thomas,
thanks for your comment, this helps me refine my understanding of what's
going on.

At the same time, while I do see that for other articulations (fermata,
appoggiato) this parenting scheme works very well,
I remain wondering whether for the style of layout of the fingering
indications that I am after, the appropriate thing to do could be to change
the parenting altogether.

If we look at chord for a second, I see the <one-note-chord> thing as a
trick because to me even for proper chords the whole FingeringColumn idea
is also a weird concept: imagine you're in say C major, and you're laying
out fingering on the left of a chord like Fm <f aes c'>: I'm very unclear
whether the most readable solution is to have the fingerings stacked one
atop each other in a column (thereby more distant from f and c because of
the intervening flat on the aes) or if instead the fingerings on f and c
should be set tighter to their corresponding note heads and just the aes
fingering be displaced left horizontally, to allow for the flat. I would
like to experiment with various possibilities there, visually. I suppose
you could still displace horizontally inside the column, and then push it
all inwards closer to the chord even if the bboxes will overlap a bit... I
anticipate issues such as making sure the fingering for c' doesn't
interfer with the ascender on the flat glyph, also.

Which brings me to a question: what consequence would it have to replace
the X-parent and Y-parent of the fingering to be the NoteHead instead?
(I guess there will be a need to deal with the accidentals at a minimum)
And also: how would I go at discovering these consequences without using
too much of you guys' time?

Thanks again,
Luca