Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 18:46:45 -0400

On Aug 3, 2022, at 17:22, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> \version "2.23.12"
>
> {
>   c'1
>   \mark \default
>   \repeat segno 2 {
>     c'1
>   }
>
> A power user on -user-fr is frustrated that the above
> doesn't work, as rehearsal-mark-event and segno-mark-event
> are mutually exclusive at the same time step.

I'm willing to discuss it, but I don't think you should open an issue yet.

I try to be conservative because it's easier to relax the rules than to tighten
them.  I have tried to keep in mind the possibility of creating new features
where LilyPond uses "the" label at a given point of the piece.  (The jump
instructions already do some of this.)

Having both a rehearsal mark and a segno seems like an unusual editorial
choice, where it might make sense to force power users into workarounds so that
more casual users can benefit from the warning.

Before discussing solutions, what are the details of the use case?

* Is this about true rehearsal marks, or one of the (ahem) creative uses of
rehearsal marks that are floating around in snippets?  (e.g., fermata, CD track
number)

* Does the user want the rehearsal mark to appear in addition to or in lieu of
the segno?

* What does the user expect the automatic jump instruction to say?

* Are these the user's personal preferences, or are there historical examples?

Regards,
—
Dan