Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:09:17 +0200

Le 10/08/2022 à 13:54, Dan Eble a écrit :
On Aug 10, 2022, at 00:38, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:
Just imagine a piece (say, a waltz by Johann Strauss[*]) that has not
a single segno, but a bunch of them.  It might confuse an orchestra if
the conductor asks to start 'at the segno' during a rehearsal – from
experience I can tell you that at least one musician will ask 'which
one?'…
Then that score is not an example of using a segno and a rehearsal mark at the
same point.

It is an example of ambiguous segni, and stacking rehearsal marks on top of
them addresses only half of the issue: the D.S. instructions remain ambiguous.

As a musician, if I see

Segno       Dal Segno     Segno      Dal Segno    Segno    Dal Segno

I will understand it as

|:         :|             |:           :|         |:         :|

It is technically ambiguous, but I understand what is meant,
especially if the segni are removed from each other.

In other words, it actually does make sense to have both rehearsal
marks and segno signs at the same position.
Between preparing caesura-related MRs, I will try allowing a rehearsal mark to
occur at the same point as the other types of marks.  Maybe now, after having
spent some time away from it, I will see other ways to do the things that made
me implement the restriction in the first place.

I would like advice on whether it would be ideal to split Mark_engraver into
Rehearsal_mark_engraver and Performance_mark_engraver.

To be sure I understand: what would be the respective
responsibilities of these engravers?

Thanks,
Jean