Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 06:45:51 -0700

On 2022-08-09 8:01 pm, Dan Eble wrote:
The marks that \repeat segno creates are intended to identify points
of repetition and departure for performance.  Having one of those, I
do not understand why one would want to identify the same point with a
second mark for rehearsal.

Surely this is about providing more information. A segno or coda mark is just a flag in the ground, whereas rehearsal marks can help clarify the context of the piece.

In my own work (still on 2.22), I use rehearsal marks to label the main sections of the piece ("Verses", "Chorus", etc.). It is easy for me to then say to my singers "let's run the chorus again" or "pick it up a measure before the bridge".

Now a very common pattern is for the chorus of a song to get repeated after a bridge. Assuming I do not have the room to just duplicate the chorus inline, this often requires using a D.S. instruction and placing both the "Chorus" section label and a segno mark at the same point in the song. I handle this manually right now by creating one mark that combines the content of both items.

-- Aaron