Re: NR: no working links in included PDFs

From: Masamichi Hosoda
Subject: Re: NR: no working links in included PDFs
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 22:12:51 +0900 (JST)

>> As with the Java part of `pax`, it may be possible to extract
>> annotations from PDFs with a C/C++ program.  But, it looks like
>> `latex-pax` is adding the extracted annotations to the PDF using
>> `pax.sty`.  The `pax.sty` is for LaTeX, and it looks like it is for
>> pdfLaTeX only.  It would be quite difficult to get it to work with
>> Texinfo on XeTeX/pdfTeX.
>
> Oh, I don't mean that we should exactly follow the `pax` algorithm.  I
> only mentioned it because it provides a solution.
>
> Isn't it possible to add links with the `pdfmark` operator in the same
> way as is already done for annotations by `extractpdfmark`?  In
> Adobe's pdfmark reference manual (`5150.Pdfmark.pdf`) I see a section
> 2.1.2 called 'Links', which appears to be exactly what's needed.

The PDF output by pdfTeX/XeTeX has no information about
the file name or position (page number, x-y coordinates, size, etc.)
of the PDFs it includes.
It means that even if we extract the link information from the included PDFs,
we don't know where to apply it in the positions
of the PDF output by pdfTeX/XeTeX.

`pax.sty` seems to recognize the positions of the PDFs included
by the LaTeX layer and reproduce the links.
If something similar to this can be done with Texinfo,
link reproduction can be realized.
However, I have no idea how to do this in Texinfo.