Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 13:36:41 +0200

On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 22:35 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le 14/09/2022 à 22:16, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2022-07-20 at 11:39 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
> > LilyPond development wrote:
> > What do we do about this one? Over the past couple of weeks, I tried
> > quite a number of ideas, with no success so far.
>
> Thanks a lot for working on this even if it didn't succeed so far.
>
> Just in case for others: Jonas shared some details about what he tried
> in https://github.com/ivmai/bdwgc/issues/454#issuecomment-1244375504

I've tried some more and probably developed an understanding of what's
happening - I will post on the upstream issue later. For our use case,
however, we can "cheat" a bit because we statically link both bdwgc and
libguile; https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1627
should work around the crashes (at least they do for me in Wine).

> > Questions:
> > a) Do we stick to the plan of branching next week, after the planned
> > release of 2.23.13 this weekend?
> > b) If we decide to branch and eventually arrive in December without a
> > fix, do we block the release?
> >
> > At the current moment, branching without a "guaranteed" release date
> > bears a certain risk that we will end up with something half-finished
> > while blocking progress before resuming a new cycle of development
> > releases. What do people think?
>
> b) I would say yes. It would be sad, but for better or worse, our
> significant part of our user base is on Windows, as far as I know.
>
> a) I don't know.
>
> One thing I can say is that finalizing !1510 (-dcompile-scheme-code)
> is going to take me a day or two (not helped by being sick of working
> on that problem), and it wouldn't be unreasonable to have it in the
> unstable release before branching, as it changes the execution of Scheme
> code in some significant respects (compiling is optional, but the new
> error handling isn't). So I'd consider it reasonable to delay the release
> to next week-end for now, and see what happens for the Windows crashes.

It's not fully clear to me what "next" means here, but I really want to
do an unstable release this weekend (probably on Sunday) unless there
are very good arguments not to. The reason is simply that I don't have
much time the weekend of the 24th/25th and no time at all the week
after for an eventual branching.
For !1510 I'd argue that it's simply too late for this weekend.

Jonas