Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Fixing regressions and serious issues
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:16:46 +0200

On Wed, 2022-07-20 at 11:39 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 17:38 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
>
> > * “Heisen-crashes on Windows with large scores”
> >
> >    https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6361
> >
> >    A nasty and poorly understood GC problem on Windows,
> >    needs some tough debugging.
>
> This is currently the only issue marked ~Critical, and I agree this
> must be addressed before a stable release. I hope I can come back to
> this in the next weeks.

What do we do about this one? Over the past couple of weeks, I tried
quite a number of ideas, with no success so far.

Questions:
a) Do we stick to the plan of branching next week, after the planned
release of 2.23.13 this weekend?
b) If we decide to branch and eventually arrive in December without a
fix, do we block the release?

At the current moment, branching without a "guaranteed" release date
bears a certain risk that we will end up with something half-finished
while blocking progress before resuming a new cycle of development
releases. What do people think?

Jonas