Re: Potential LSR licensing violations

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Potential LSR licensing violations
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 12:34:12 +0200 (CEST)

> Le 20/10/2022 12:13 CEST, Kevin Barry <barrykp@gmail.com> a écrit :
>

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 02:32:58AM +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> > What should we do about these snippets? Delete them?
> My two cents is that we should leave it alone and not spend time talking
> about licences because those discussions rarely arrive at answers, and
> most of the time there isn't really a problem except in someone's
> imagination.

The subsequent discussion on copyright assignment is a
different thing, but I think it is neither true here that
there is no problem, nor that it is difficult to arrive
at an answer.

The LSR distributes a piece of GPLed code under GPL-incompatible
terms, which is illegal, period. I don't think I am imagining
a problem here. Being an LSR-editor now, I don't like having
my responsibility involved in copyright infringement.

And there aren't many solutions. Either we get permission from
the copyright owners to release it to the public domain, or
we release it under the GPL instead of the public domain.

Jean