Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 10:09:21 +0100

On Thu, 2023-01-05 at 23:55 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le 05/01/2023 à 23:30, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
> > What I find worrying in this discussion is that proponents of having
> > Cairo sooner than later keep dismissing the size argument, in parts
> > with very strong words, without the willingness to look into it (as far
> > as I understand; or have there been concrete attempts before I raised
> > the point only yesterday?). In my humble opinion, this is not a good
> > attitude for planning and proposing large-scale changes as we are
> > discussing them...
>
> No, I had not looked into this before yesterday or thought about it,
> and I am not ashamed about it, because the exact purpose of this
> thread in the first place was to ask what the potential blockers
> were, you brought up one, and that is the kind of answer I expected.

In my personal opinion, this stage is even less of a place to make
statements like "Quite frankly, I think it's not going to happen until
the 12th of Never." and "I strongly disagree that PDFs of the same size
as today is a requirement [...]".

> Again, I am not proposing anything. I'm just trying to figure out
> a minimum amount of work that needs to be done before a concrete
> proposal for a switch can even meaningfully be made (before the thread
> largely derailed on the actual details of this not-yet-made proposal,
> which was not really the intent, but anyway).

The original post had this:
> I ask this because we are at an early point in the 2.26 release
> cycle, which could potentially be ideal to get testing for "Cairo by
> default" if it were ready, but it isn't yet.

"early point in the 2.26 release cycle" is basically now, not several
months from now. I'm sorry, but I see no other interpretation than your
intent to make a proposal into that direction very, very soon.

> I tend to shrug about size issues because I view them as the least
> of my worries compared to PDF / SVG features, which everybody agrees
> are critical to get Cairo ready for being a default, and I don't have
> high hopes of doing anything about them anyway.

Can you please stop making such statements? Complex problems aren't
solved within one day. Even if it's not obvious now, I am confident
that there are enough people around here that somebody will find a
solution eventually. If we try, that is, and not just shrug about it.