Ghostscript and new PDF interpreter (was: Missing items to make Cairo re

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Ghostscript and new PDF interpreter (was: Missing items to make Cairo ready)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 19:51:24 +0100

[ replying on the topic of the new PDF interpreter alone because it
really bothers me that you keep making wrong claims in that regard ]

On Wed, 2023-01-04 at 15:13 +0000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > With extractpdfmark
> > ===================
> >
> > PS backend:
> >
> > 4,8M    Documentation/out-www/en/notation.pdf
>
> FYI: Using a recent GS version with its new PDF backend, the size
> gets larger than 20MByte.  I guess this is a bug, and I will soon
> version (in March), which will eventually drop the old PDF engine
> completely.
>
> On the other hand, GS's new PDF engine no longer contains a PS
> interpreter; it is possible that `extractpdfmark` doesn't work
> anymore, and we have to find something new...

This is wrong, or at least the new PDF *interpreter* (which is, in my
understanding, not to be confused with the PDF driver to output PDF) in
itself is not to blame here: The new interpreter was already enabled by
default in Ghostscript 9.56 and this version still works perfectly
fine, yielding small PDF sizes together with extractpdfmark.